
So last week I got a sign on my door saying that someone tried to deliver a basket of fruit to our house but no one was home so to call this number. I thought "Oh, someone must have ordered a basket of fruit for my parent's so I will call the number". Well it turned out to be a company that had opened up a store down in San Diego and was looking for free advertising. They wanted to clean two rooms of carpets to get their name out and get referrals. It sounded like a home cleaning/carpet cleaning service. I was interested in this since my kids dirty up the carpet.
Well it turned out to be a company that sold Kirby vacuums. These are really nice vacuums for thousands of dollars but I made sure to ask if they were going to sell something before I agreed to let them come out. Of course they said No. After the salesmen were there for over an hour my Dad came home and said "Please leave. We are not interested". He said it annoyed and they packed up. I was trying to be nice and kept saying "Listen my husband is in law school this is the last thing we can afford right now". I just wanted the FREE CARPET CLEANING!!! Not only did not get my free carpet cleaning but I did not get my free basket of fruit!!!
The sad thing is that this is the second time I got tricked on this issue. Lesson learned....NO ONE GIVES OUT FREE CARPET CLEANINGS!!!!!!
7 comments:
I'm sorry to post on your blog because you don't know me. I only know you thought Reagan, but I wanted to tel you our Kirby experience.
2 summers before my mission,I lived with my brother in AZ. It was great and my brother is hilarious and his kids are young and cute (my brother is 12 years older than me, BTW)
So one random Friday, we were all sitting around and talking about doing something together. Well, all of a sudden, there was a knock on the door. Tina (my sister in law) said "oh, that's just someone dropping off a carpet cleaner. We are supposed to use it and give it back to them later.
Well, when I answered the door, I said "are you here to drop off the machine?" and he said yes!! BLATANT LIE. How can they think that it's ok to full on lie like that?
Anyway, I'm getting winded here. The thing was that he was there for WELL OVER THREE HOURS. He did all these demonstrations and one of them involved PUTTING MY BROTHER IN A BAG AND SUCTIONING ALL THE AIR OUT OF IT. It was supposed to show the strength of the suction. But what it did was piss my brother off and he ripped the guy's plastic bag.
The guy finally left (after the 3 hours) when they told him that they were saving up to buy a house and so they didn't have any money at all to spend. They were like "we don't have a home phone!! We canceled our cable! We literally are saving every penny"
The guy was PISSED and left. But my brother was even more upset. He was like HE MADE ME GET IN A BAG!!!!! To this day we talk about it and My brother is like "whatever, I got in the bag."
Those people know that if you know it is the Kirby company, then no one will let them in. The fruit basket thing is new. When My sister in law got sucked in there was some talk about a free cruise and of course, the carpet cleanings. It's good to know what we should be looking out for from the Kirby Liars.
LIARS
Ali,
I appreciate you commenting on my blog. Any friend of Reagan is a friend of mine. (Seriously...it sounds cheesy but true)
Okay...I feel better that I was not the only one tricked. They do openly lie. I can't believe what nerve they have.
Laura-
I haven't checked your blog for awhile and I just started laughing when I read this one! I had a horrible experience with them too.
"Oh we'll come and clean your carpets. No, we aren't seling anything. Yeah, it will only take half an hour."
Yeah, right! Those liars were there for two and a half hours and they only cleaned a tiny spot on my carpet. Whatever! I thought I was over it, but apparently your story has brought out some represed memories!!! I might have to go talk to my Bishop about them because there not very nice. :) You are not alone in your Kirby experiences!
I am pretty sure all the Kirby salesman are also cocaine dealers that are trying to support their habits. A vacuum cleaner for $5,000?? For that price it had better do my taxes, too.
For reals Laura, you me and Alicia will hang out your next Cafe Rio trip to Utah. We are all cut from the same cloth. :D
I just don't understand how they can openly lie to get into the door. I'm glad to know that I was not the only one tricked. Sadly I was tricked twice but with different lies.
Has anyone gotten their carpets cleaned? (Larger then a small area that Angela had done....because I don't consider that a carpet cleaning. I consider that a carpet teasing)
Has anyone bought the vacuum or known someone that has?
my mother-in law owns one and she loves it.
Here's the thing Anonymous: Everyone who owns one HAS to love it!!! They paid a small fortune for it. Honestly, if I took out an home equity line of credit for a VACUUM, you'd better believe I would defend my purchase to everyone who listened to me.
I think you can get your carpets just as clean with so much less money.
Oh, and does anyone know? Do they use the "missionary model" after they sell one? You know, do they ask you to give them the names and phone numbers of family members/friends who might want to buy one? Just wondering.
Post a Comment