Monday, March 12, 2012

Walk of Death.....

On March 3rd the youth of our stake walked 23 miles from our stake center to the San Diego Temple. The intent of the stake was that our Youth could "Do Hard Things" and that their hearts may be turned towards the temple.  I was extremely concerned for the safety of our girls because none of our girls are in marathon type shape.  My Mom and I came up with a list of questions for the stake and drove the intended route.  Some of the route was in sketchy neighborhoods and we were afraid our girls were going to get mugged or lost at the nearest 7-11. 

It was decided that I would walk with the girls.  How hard is it to walk 23 miles?  You put shoes on and you keep walking till you are done.  This was my thought process and it was not accurate at all. I figured that the girls would only walk for a few miles and then we would go enjoy some delicious breakfast as Dennys.   

We started off at 6:00am and started walking.  At 8am....we were still walking.  At 12pm....we were still walking.  At 2pm....we were still walking.  At 2:45pm....we stopped walking and ate pizza.  We then finished the walk at the temple and heard from our temple president.

I'm not sure if it turned the hearts of our young women to the temple but it was a hard thing to do.  My entire body was sore by the time I finished the walk.  Since my body is in excellent shape I was back to normal the next day. 

I learned the following things from Walking to the Temple:

1) If you love something you should walk to it.  So I love getting refreshing beverages....I will walk to get one.  I love food.....I will walk to get some.
2) I should have mapped out the circle Ks on the temple route map
3) 100 Mormons walking along the sidewalks of San Diego......is weird and people notice
4) The Bishop is super Christlike because he didn't tell me to be quiet once or ask me to move another group
5)I like DRIVING to help redeem the Dead
6)Eating pizza at the finish line does not make up for walking 23 miles
7) Homeless people blended in very easily with 100 Mormons
8) I did not lose weight walking 23 miles to the temple.....so no more walking 23 miles.
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!