Sunday, April 27, 2008

I need Advice

Luke used to be an amazing sleeper. I used to tell people "Yes, my son crawls into his bed so he can take a nap". Now, he is in a toddler bed (for a month now) and he gets up every 5 minutes. He was doing really well sleeping in his toddler bed until now. I have no idea what to do. He gets up and comes out. We have tried taking away his pacifiers, spanking him (which we rarely do), rocking him for a few minutes, and yelling at him to go to bed. We have no idea and we are running out of ideas. We even tried putting the children's lock on his side of the door in his room but that only ended in him hitting the door over and over. Fortunately, Peyton is sleeping through all of this. Advice anyone????

Also, my children wake up between 6-7 and it normally borders on the 6am side. Sometimes it is even on the 5:45side. They go to bed at 7:30 so how can I get them to sleep in. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Sheri King said...

I was going to say the lock idea. I know some will think it's terrible, but it worked for us. We started out with the door open. If Tyler got out of bed we would lock the door from the outside. We had a few nights and naps of door banging and he would eventually go to sleep on the floor. Finally he learned to stay in bed and we were able to unlock the door for good, after about a week.

I am a girl who needs sleep. I will never be a co-sleeper or anything like that. I've been kind of strict with sleeping, and I have two pretty good sleepers. I think you have to do what works for you.

By the way, I tried the popcorn/drink combo at Target. Austin left a little trail of pocorn so we could find our way back to refill the Dr. Pepper.

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one. We've got the door handle cover on the inside, too, but in general my daughter is content to play with her toys now that she's given up on getting out. So we've moved to taking away her favorites, one toy kitten at a time, if she gets out of bed. Of course, she still starts out every nap by playing with her kittens IN bed, but that doesn't last as long as when she roams the room. Every minute counts!

Jenni said...

Maybe try to take away a favorite toy for the day. I just started doing this with Ethan and you would think his world ends when Lightning McQueen gets taken away. I first threaten that lightning McQueen is going if he does not stop and he usually just stops. It took a few days of actually taking him away, but now he gets it.
Also - is Luke tired at nap time? Sometimes Ethan is just not tired and can not fall asleep, but I tell him he needs to stay in bed for quiet time. I usually hear him singing and playing, but at least I am getting a break.
For getting you kids to sleep later - that is a tough one - I think you may just be cursed with early risers (probably just taking after you!- HA!).

Laura Beers said...

Thank you for all of your advice. It all sounds like "locking Luke in his room" is the best idea and taking away his pacifiers too.
We have started putting the gate up in front of the door and leaving the door open. If he screams for 5 minutes or so we pick him up from the door and put him back into his bed. He just plays in his bed but it is better then hanging out with me while I'm trying to watch T.V. (Once again, Mother of the Year Award is coming to me)