Monday, September 8, 2008

I love the Public Library


Today I went to a public library for the first time with my kids. (I went when I was younger but haven't been to a public library since middle school)

First there was a yoga class going on in the kid's section because they had an issue with getting doubled booked at the community center across the street. Luke was making noise and I was trying to tell him to use his church voice and Peyton was walking around shrieking. I got dirty looks but I also got "Grandparents Looks". (Grandparents Looks are the "Oh how cute are those kids. Their Mom is trying so hard to make them be good. I Miss my Grandkids!")

Second, I ran into two missionaries that were the rudest missionaries and were acting really weird. I asked if they needed help but they blew me off.

My friend Katherine came with Ronald and Charlotte. (Ronald is Luke's Best Friend and is Nursery with him and Charlotte is Katherine's niece and is such a sweet girl) Once the Yoga class was over the kids ran all over the place and had so much fun. I checked out 3 books, a dvd and a cd. It was a lot of fun.

Any ideas on books I should get for Luke and Peyton? Also any ideas on books that I could get to help make Luke super smart? I wanted to find counting books or something that was more than just an entertaining book.

2 comments:

Reggs said...

I once ran into the missionaries at the grocery store. They were drinking hot chocolates, reading the newspaper and watching the TV in the deli. After that, they perused the hot rod magazines. You know, the kind with the bikini-clad women sitting on top.
Idiots. I happened to mention this to the mission president (who was our neighbor and in our ward). Never saw them there again.
I don't have any great book suggestions, except I like the berenstein bear books because they usually teach a lesson along with the story. Piper has "the bears get the gimmies", "telling the truth", and "stranger danger".

Jacquelyn said...

Okay, if you're really serious about children's book recommendations, let me know. What are they interested in? Poetry: try Bill Peet (specifically Huge Harold). Short stories: Arnold Lobel (like Mouse Tails, Mouse Soup, and any of the Frog and Toad series). And, of course, anything by Beatrix Potter. But you have to be okay with capital punishment. I could go on, but I'll probably bore you and annoy your other readers. But really, if you want more, let me know. When the librarians tell you they won't go over well with young children, ignore them: Eliana's been eating these up since she was a year old. I think librarians are more used to what kids can handle when they're sitting in a circle with other children. Everything is different when the child is sitting on your lap.