When I drove home from Vegas on Wednesday I got a speeding ticket right off Rancho Bernardo Rd. (right by where my cousin Sheri lives....so watch out Sheri!!!) which is about 20 minutes from my house! I was really sad because I saw the cop but I thought "There is no way he is going to pull me over for going 80 when people are flying past me". I was wrong!!!! I took my foot off the accelerator but it was not fast enough. So he pulled me over for going 80 in a 65 zone!Now I have lived in CA my entire life and I have never gotten a ticket for going 80. I thought that was a safe speed considering how everyone drives faster than 80 in the freeway.
So I plan on postponing the ticket for 60 days and then going in and hope to get a sympathetic judge. (My court date is for Oct 5th since the officer saw I was going to have a baby in a month....nice of him) From accounts I read online sometimes the judge will take into account your situation and can lower the ticket from $50-$150 dollars. Since this is my first speeding ticket ever (and I have deserved many over the years) I will try to get the ticket reduced. Plus the officer might not show up???
Any thoughts???? Has anyone tried this route?
5 comments:
I DO have some advice: get an attorney. If you were going the speed of traffic, then they can hardly pick on you. I've discovered that having someone who is familiar with judges and loopholes is the best thing you can give yourself. Call one up and see if they offer a free consultation.
You will thank me!
I have heard that they can reduce your fine as long as you are willing to go to traffic school also. Online traffic schools are like $15.
Yes, I plan on going to traffic school so my insurance doesn't get affected. Rumor has it that this ticket will be about 300 dollars plus traffic school fees.
In MO there's no traffic school option, but everyone just does the lawyer thing. For me, i got a ticket and the lawyer got it changed from speeding to mechanical malfunction, same $82 fine, but no points on record.
When james got a CA speeding ticket, he fought it by i think it's called trial by declaration, where everything was done in the mail. Look into it- he had to pay the fine ($300+), but it was dismissed and he got a refund. Pretty cool deal, as it was one of those "i shouldn't have been pulled over for THAT moments", kinda like yours. ANyhow, that's my 2 cents.
Post a Comment