Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Dad Fell...

I have mentioned before on my blog that my Dad has Lymphoma and has been in the hospital for an aggressive chemotherapy regiment. He was done with his third round and the doctors gave him permission to go home but was told of the risks. My Dad was stubborn and came home for Thanksgiving and it was a lot of fun to have him so close to us. Unfortunately, on Sunday morning my Dad fell and hit his head and shoulder. He was extremely dizzy and was rushed to the hospital, in an ambulance, and had surgery to relieve the pressure in his brain. Since my Dad has extremely low platelet count and white blood cells his condition is still critical.

Currently my Dad is in the ICU and only my Mom can be with him for fear of infection. He has some movement back on his right side but his left side is fully functional. He can only open one eye and hasn't started talking yet. The doctors are optimistic that once the swelling goes down on his brain that he will have a full recovery.

Fortunately, my entire family was here for the holiday and we were all able to be at the hospital on Sunday morning waiting in the OR waiting room. (My sister and brother were on their way home when they had to turn back. That was about a 7 hour detour for them)

I cannot express how grateful I am for the gospel in my life. To have doctors explain that your Father could die at any time and to feel peace is amazing. I know that Heavenly Father knows what he is doing and his Will will be done. I am lucky to have my kids to take my mind off of the horrible state that my Dad is in but my Mom just sits by my Dad and just talks to him all day. I would really appreciate your prayers because it is not up to us whether or not he lives.

10 comments:

Jenni said...

I am so sad to hear that! I was going to call, but thought maybe you don't want calls right now. I will be praying for your Dad and your entire family.

Shannon said...

We are keeping your family in our prayers. I am so sorry for this to happen..I hope he recovers soon.

sdheinens said...

Oh Laura! You are so strong! My mom told me that your dad fell and thats all I heard so I am glad you are keeping everyone posted. I will keep you all in our prayers.

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. We'll be praying for your family.

John Sperry said...

Oh my gosh, Laura! I am so sorry! I will keep your dad in my prayers! I'm glad that you can feel at peace right now and I'm especially glad that you are around to be support for your parents. sending lots of hugs!

Sarah

OhShauna said...

Your family is certainly in our prayers Laura. What a blessing that the family was able to spend some time with him during Thanksgiving.

Kristy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your Dad is back in the hospital. We are definitely keeping him in our prayers and hoping for a safe and well deserved recovery. Isn't is great to be members of this church and to constantly feel of our Saviors love? I love that peace and calming he always brings when we take the time to ask for it. We love you!

Reggs said...

This must be so scary for you, Laura. I'm sorry I am not there to help out, or bring you anything to make it any easier.
Your words are such an example of your testimony.
I hope everything is okay with your Dad, and you. Keep us updated. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Laura, please let me know if I can do anything for you! You have always been so kind to offer your help to me, I would like to do something for you if I can! We'd love to pick up Luke for a playdate if you'd like. Our colds are gone now so I'll let you know in a few days if we are still good to go. Love you, Katherine

ANGELA said...

I am sorry about your dad. I hope that you know I think about you and pray for you. It probably doesn't amke it any easier, but I do care!