My Mom brought up a good point about me. On the cruise ship whenever I started reading a book I would fall asleep or even get tired thinking about reading a book. (Now the exception is the Book of Mormon because I read that for about 20-30 minutes every night after I put the kids to bed....I know what you are thinking..."Why are you not exalted?"....and I must agree that I am waiting)
I was reading the first chapter of "The Shack" and I fell asleep on the upper deck which caused a horrific sunburn. Prior to college I read books for enjoyment all the time. During college I was constantly reading textbooks, sometimes that I didn't really care that much for, that I didn't have time to read for fun (except the Book of Mormon...that is a must read).
So what great books am I missing? Does anyone recommend any books that might swing me back into reading for fun?
10 comments:
Oh yes! Do you like nonfiction? I read "Peace Like a River" by Leif (sp?) Enger. It is the most wonderful modern prose I have read. Loved the story and I couldn't get over his command of the language. Such a delightful read. I could recommend others if you have a particular genre that interests you - Mitch is a good one to recommend books also. I love his recommendations.
That all sounds so boring!
Maybe I should just keep watching t.v. (like Bones and criminal Minds?)
The Hunger Games. It's sequel came out last month, I havn't read it yet, but I hear it's really good. Hunger Games was good.
The Host, by Stephanie Meyer - good
I got addicted to Twilight also, but the Host if for adults.
I plan on reading the Time Traveler's Wife, I hear the book is better than the movie.
I wanna read Wednesday Letters, it made #6 on NY best seller's list. And it looks interesting
I agree, college, heck, even high school ruined reading for me. Assigned summer reading was awful. My senior English teacher assinged "Brave New World" to just read. And that was the first book I ever read and enjoyed. No worrying about quizs or tests, just one test at the end of the year that anyone could answer if they read the book. I was like, huh, who knew reading could be fun!
Go see a list of my favorite authors on my page. But Shannon Hale is great--she has teen and adult novels.
Be careful of The Time Traveler's Wife. I started reading it about two years ago and quit because of content.
Hooray! I felt the same way so I joined a book group and now I'm back into my old book addiction. I have lots of suggestions, but it depends on what you want.
If you're looking for a subtle book that will surprise you by how it pulls you in, try The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.
For a mystery that is fantastic, try The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (it's actually the first detective novel ever, from what I hear, and it's surprising how many standards it set).
For nonfiction, you have to read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. (Really, you're going to love this one.)
But if you want to set a habit of reading a lot and quickly, I recommend a classic series like the Little House books or the Chronicles of Narnia.
:)
the Twilight series got me back into the swing of reading. They're quick reads, mostly because i couldn't put them down once i had started (read the whole series in 2 weeks).
Right now i'm reading Frankenstein... it's interesting, but more modern writing is easier to read/follow and not fall asleep to... :-)
My books are great!
Do not recommend any books to Laura, she will NOT read them. I have personally bought her one of the best books and yet it still sits on her shelf begging to be read. Shame on you Cousin.
Laura, Finish "The Shack" and then move on to the "Undaunted" about the mormon hole-in-the-rock pioneers (your great-great grandparents) Both will keep you awake.
Peyton without bottles? yeah!
love MOM
I love to read, always have. In High School I would pretend that I didn't like the books they were making us read, but I secretly loved them. I would complain about To Kill a Mockingbird, but be thinking in my head how it was one of the best books I had ever read. One of my fave books ever- The Book Thief. It was A-mazing. I also loved Hunger Games. I also just read and really enjoyed The Help. Another good one is the Glass Castle. I could go on and on...Thumbs down for Twilight series, I just don't get the hype...? Sorry Twilight fans!
Although, TV is fantastic too. My new fave show - I didn't know I was pregnant. It will confound you...
Post a Comment